The Cowboys came up with some strict guidelines to insure the Bryant doesn’t get in any more trouble. These guidelines include:
- A midnight curfew. If he’s going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance
- No drinking alcohol.
- He can’t attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.
- He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.
- A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.
- Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.
If you really pay attention to these rules, they are basically making Dez Bryant a slave to the organization. His social life is done and he is being babysat 24hours a day. Dez Bryant knew his best chance of staying with the Cowboys and reaching his potential is to abide by their rules, but at the same time, this is over the top. He just signed over his freedom and now will not be seen in public without security members monitoring him. I dread the day the Bryant doesn’t do well on the field and wants to release his mind to settle himself down, he will have no privacy to do so. But, Dez did ask for help. From the Cowboys stance, I understand because they invested so much in this guy who can potentially be one of the best WR in the NFL. He has had so many off the field issues that Jerry Jones literally just wants to move him into his house to watch over him. You may ask, why go through all that effort to help him out? To that I say the reward from what he can do for the franchise far outweighs his flaws, and just like most young players in the NFL, he just need some real guidance.
I really hope that these guidelines help Bryant however. He is a young hot head that needs to settle down, and maybe these extreme measures are the correct method to get to him. If it pans out, the reward is great for Bryant. He will produce on the field and his pockets will get increasingly fatter. Jerry Jones believes in this kid and wants him to shine. “Oh yeah, very much willing to do anything he can to help himself and help the team,” Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said of Bryant. “He’s very open-minded and cooperative. He’s doing the right things by his teammates and everybody is counting on him.”
What so funny about this, is that Jerry Jones said these rules aren’t even the strictest rules he has imposed on his players. I guess this is the price you pay for being on the so called “America’s Team.”
- Jerry Jones Has People Babysitting Dez Bryant Now (sportsgrid.com)
- Cowboys enact set of behavioral rules for Dez Bryant (profootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- The official word on the Dez Bryant Rules and what else is up with the Cowboys… (blogs.nfl.com)